Gorgeous Emily, the Light-Bearer Series Novelist, has nominated me for the Shine On Award. The first award of this year could not have come from a sweeter person. Thank you, Emily. I am honoured.
I have only known Emily for a few months, and I certainly haven’t been leaving footprints around her blog nearly enough times, but I can tell you she is a powerhouse. 2012 was a very productive year for her, and I expect 2013 will be even more so. I can’t wait to see what she does. Get to know her better – instead of rules, she’s posted a self-interview, so this task couldn’t be easier for me.
She calls every one of her nominees her ‘Angels’, and I didn’t want to contradict her. Yes, laugh if you like, but I’m not being called an ‘angel’ all that often. I’m hanging onto that title!
Since there are no rules, I’ll just tell you the three things that I most dislike and the three things I most like about myself instead. Feel free to laugh. I have a paper bag which I can don in case of extreme embarrassment, later on.
Things I don’t like (not that there’s much I can do about them!)
1. Stubbornness – it’s apparently a bad trait. I have been told I’m stubborn more times than I’ve heard my name spoken, and I do try to look at things from every angle before I dig in my heels, honestly, I do. It’s not a reaction, it’s a thought process. I can’t help it if I’m always right! 😉
2. Impulsiveness. Another one that’s been thrown in my face – mostly by life, but people, too, have batted that one at me as if it would win them the match. Nope, guys. I am impulsive because I feel strongly about a certain subject. It’s passion, a fire, a need that has to be addressed. Now, not later. Sue me!
3. Enthusiasm. I’ve been trying all my life to moderate this one. But how can you keep the way you feel hidden, without the use of tranquillizers and drama skills? I remember applying for a job, back in my youth, which entailed re-designing and implementing a complete remuneration scheme for a medium-sized company. I saw the boss-man at the interview and he spent a whole hour frowning. A week later I got a call from his secretary to explain they’d love to hire me and apologised for the delay caused by the boss, who said he’d been ‘scared’ of me. I thought there must have been a good reason for his gradual slipping farther behind his desk! Pity – I’d accepted another job by then. Could have been fun. 🙂
Things I do like and know how to use
1. Stubbornness – it may be frowned-upon by the older generation, but these days you need it. No matter how much the suffragettes fought for it, equality is a right you still have to earn – don’t get me started! You need to be stubborn, to be heard. And you need to be stubborn to make your life what you want it to be. Check.
2. Impulsiveness – despite some experiences I could have done without, it’s how I’ve lived my life so far, and I don’t see much will change in the future. I have learned to embrace impulsiveness and let it guide me – if it is born from a deep-soul desire, how could it be wrong?
3. Enthusiasm – it’s what keeps me writing, what makes me learn new things every day, what puts a smile on my face and changes the ‘ordinary’ into ‘best ever’ in everything I do. I love life, and I’m happy to show it. 🙂
I’m going to act on impulse (again) and challenge a few of my friends to tell us about the traits they love and hate about themselves. So, if you see your name below, know it’s not a must. Just a challenge. Go on. You know you want to.
I challenge you: