Amazing how the harsh economic climate can affect a human being in the most unexpected ways.
I mean, there are the unemployed, the hungry, the broke, the newly rich… But who would have been able to predict the emergence of The Tactful? I sure didn’t.
Don’t know what I mean? Well, I can give you ten examples, to demonstrate what I mean.
Ten years ago, we would have said:
- The minute I find a better job, I’m outta here
- I’ve used Microsoft Office
- That’s impossible
- I don’t give a damn
- It won’t work
- Another frigging meeting?
- Not in my job description
- This job sucks
- What the hell?
- When on Earth do you expect me to do this?
The way we say it now, in true Tactful fashion:
- I’m highly motivated to succeed
- I’m extremely adept at all manner of office organization
- That may not be an entirely feasible option
- Of course I am concerned
- I will research the best way to implement this
- Yes, we really should discuss this
- I’m a bit overloaded at the moment, but I’m sure I can come in over the weekend to work on it
- I really enjoy a challenge
- That is interesting behavior. Refreshing, even.
- Perhaps I could work late, in fact I have no plans tonight. My two toddlers and heavily pregnant wife wouldn’t mind me working late at all.